Tuesday 21 June 2011

Spintastic

In my ever lasting plight to lose weight and get fit. I've heard about the benefits of Spinning and really wanted to give it a whirl. Wiki had a great description

"Indoor cycling
, as an organized activity, is a form of exercise with classes focusing on endurance, strength, intervals, high intensity (race days) and recovery, that involve using a special stationary exercise bicycle with a weighted flywheel in a classroom setting."

It's been over six months since I started spinning. That's 2 session most weeks, which is a 6am start. It's not so bad during the summer, when it's light. The winter is worse. I've really noticed the difference in my shape. I'm getting toned! I really didn't think it would work, but it does. My ongoing back problem, also means I can't to exercise with impact. Spinning is perfect, as it strenthens my lower back and my glutes.

The gym uses The Sunnto Fitness Solution for it's spin classes. Which is a heart rate belt linked to some software, that shows you on a big screen your heart rate and your fitness levels during the class.

This is the screen you see during the class with your colour coded heart rate levels.

The added bonus of the system is that you get an email with your stats at the end of the session!

Here is today's stats.

It's worth the effort even if I do feel exhausted start afterwards. I sweat loads during the class. I know I don't put the same effort into a regular gym session. It's perfect for 45minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deepa, I was looking through some old Facebook stuff today and found some old posts of yours from 2008ish. I thought to myself I haven't heard from you for a while (nor you from me) so I thought I'd look you up.
    I eventually found your blog (very good by the way) and it would seem to be the only way I have of contacting you.

    I hope you get this - if you want to get back to me my address is michaelpomery@googlemail.com.

    Hope to hear from you.

    Mike.

    ReplyDelete